Common Loons-Seney Refuge

Bird sightings, trip reports, ask for ID

Common Loons-Seney Refuge

Postby Rick Baetsen » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:18 pm

Common Loon with two chicks, sometimes with one and others with both chicks riding on the adults back. After annually doing Bonnie's North American Butterfly Association counts since 1994, many years we only encounter the usual butterflies and little wildlife as we are surveying from mid morning until late afternoon. But sometimes we get lucky and get a new or lots of a particular species of butterfly and sometimes unique wildife sightings. In the past we have had Moose, Pine Marten, Fisher, Black Bear, both Ruffed and Spruce Grouse with young chicks on the Whitefish Point and Seney/Fox River butterfly counts. This year we had our highest counts of Monarchs on both counts, many Pink-edged Sulphurs and both Bog and Purplish Coppers. Yesterday while surveying Common Milkweed along a dike road on Seney Refuge I looked up to see a Common Loon with two fairly young chicks not far off shore of the pool. It was quite windy and the light was pretty bright and harsh but I had my camera and was able to take a series of images of the adult swimming with the chicks. Then one chick got up on the adults back and a bit later the second one climbed up for a ride. After a few minutes of good looks at the Loons we moved on we still had a lot of the survey route to complete and it was already mid-afternoon.
Attachments
j 00000 IMG_0055-2.jpg
j 00000 IMG_0058-2.jpg
j 00000 IMG_0105-2.jpg
j 00000 IMG_0120-2.jpg
Rick Baetsen
USFS-USFWS Ret.
Michigan Outdoor Writers Association
Walloon Lake and Munising, Michigan
http://www.rickbaetsen.com
Rick Baetsen

Re: Common Loons-Seney Refuge

Postby Dale » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:57 am

Great photos Rick. Nice to see that you and Bonnie are getting around and enjoying the area so much.

Dale
Dale

Return to Sightings